Mar 26, 2009

Meet the Choreographer...

Name: Steven G. Kennedy

Role with the production: Choreographer

What was the first play you were ever in? Hansel and Gretel

How old were you? 7

What was your part?
I was a gingerbread cookie

When did you know you wanted to work in the theatre?
The day I was born. I was the youngest of 6, so my survival technique was to make people laugh….it was a natural fit.

How did you decide to become a choreographer?
I was an actor for many years and choreography found me. I have enjoyed it ever since.

What was your first show in New York?
The Toy Shoppe, starring the one and only gambler, Kenny Rogers.

What was your experience with Dear Edwina? How did you get involved with the production?
I have been friends with Marcy and Zina for many years. I have also worked on several productions of Dear Edwina and Dear Edwina JR over the years. I was honored to join the production staff this show. The experience was beyond belief. The cast was a joy to work with, Daryl Roth [the producer] and her team were a dream and the creative team was top notch. I put this experience as one of my top theatrical experiences.

What is your favorite part about working on Dear Edwina?
I enjoyed the people—the cast, crew, creative and production staff. It was such a wonderful rehearsal process, I think we all left for the day with a smile on our face!

What was the most challenging part of working on Dear Edwina?
The biggest challenge I had was the limited space. Dear Edwina has so many production numbers and I was worried the intimate space would be a concern, but I was thrilled to learn and adapt and I feel like I am a better choreographer because of the challenge.

What song/lesson from the show do you most relate to or enjoy? Was their one that you remember needed to learn when you were younger?
Sing Your Own Song is such a lovely song….I think it is so important to be yourself and enjoy it. I learn most from and tend to gravitate towards people who are different than me. The world would be terribly boring if we were identical.

If you have questions or comments for Steven, the rest of the cast and crew, or just about the show in general, please email them to Dear.EdwinaBlog@gmail.com or leave them as a message on this post.

1 comment:

  1. Loved the show. You can read my review here:

    http://www.momtrendsnyc.com/2009/04/smack-down-dear-edwina-vs-dora-live.html

    ReplyDelete

 
Clicky Web Analytics