Mar 12, 2009

Meet the Company...Part 3

Here is our third interview in our series with people involved with Dear Edwina.

Name: Janice Mays

Role: Edwina

What was the first play you were ever in?
I think the first full-length play was the Sound of Music at Toby's Dinner Theater

How old were you?
12 (I think...)

What was your part?
Brigitta

When did you know you wanted to be a professional actor?
I've wanted to be a performer for a very long time, but I've had phases of wanting to do other things like be a teacher or an astronaut or a doctor or a nurse or a pilot or a writer or a professional scuba diver. I'm still thinking about that last one.

Is this your first show in New York?
Yes indeedy!

Tell us about learning that you had been cast in Dear Edwina. How did you find out? Was it exciting?
I found out over the phone and it was very exciting! It was also a bit surprising because I moved to New York a month before getting the job and graduated from college a few months before that... When I moved up here (from Maryland) everyone told me that it takes a really long time to get cast in a show and I should be fully prepared to wait tables for at least a year. So... yes. It was VERY exciting.

What is your favorite part about being in Dear Edwina?
Tough question... Marcy and Zina (the composer and lyricist) are some of my favorite writers and it is so much fun to perform their material. I love our cast - everyone is so talented and we always have great time together... we really lucked out on that one because we're together ALL the time! We've also had some really great audiences which helps the show stay fresh and exciting for us on stage.

What song/lesson from the show do you most relate to? Was their one that you remember needing to learn when you were younger?
It'd have to be "Sing Your Own Song." Feeling the pressure to fit in is a part of everyday life (for kids AND adults...). Somehow in middle school being a cool kid feels like the only thing that matters. I always knew I was a little bit different from other kids and often felt intimidated by them. Eventually I learned that life is so much more fun and interesting when you stop trying to fit in and start "singing your own song!"

What was your favorite game when you were in elementary school?
Definitely Capture the Flag. We'd played with all the kids in my neighborhood every day. And I'm not gonna lie... I was pretty good.

If you have questions for Janice, the rest of the cast and crew, or just about the show in general, please email them to Dear.EdwinaBlog@gmail.com or leave them as a message here.

1 comment:

 
Clicky Web Analytics